Life Lessons Gleaned from Classical Music
Never have only one copy of an important document
Respect the times that call for rest
People won’t care about the beauty of your work if you’re an abominable human being
Always carry a handkerchief
If you find a suit you like, buy a dozen
In this world, it usually boils down to the numbers
Don’t let anyone steal your heart
Coffee makes you creative, prolific, and, apparently, virile
Make no apologies for being intelligent to the point of being socially crippled, germphobic, and known for your eccentricities. Just make your own kind of music
Book Oscars 2013
I love this idea from superbooked. My own personal Book Oscars based on the books I read in 2013:
- Best Book- dead tie between Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh and The Divine Comedy of Dante. And I feel horrible and near blasphemous for saying that. But, I mean, come on, it’s Evelyn Waugh!
- Best Male in a Leading Role- Theodore Roosevelt in his Autobiography
- Best Female in a Leading Role- Phaedra from the eponymous play by Jean Racine
- Best Male in a Supporting Role- F. Scott Fitzgerald in A Moveable Feast
- Best Female in a Supporting Role-
Lucia Mondella from I Promessi Sposi
- Best Author- Dante
- Best Cover Design- The Penguin Classics Voyage of the Beagle by Charles Darwin
I read a lot of great books in 2013.
P.S. My Razzie goes to John Stuart Mill.
Brendan Constantine is an old friend of mine. His poetry video has just won the Best New Poetry Video of 2013 from Write Bloody Press.
Assunzione della Vergine, Correggio (1530)
Rachmaninov : Variations on a Theme of Corelli, for piano, Op. 42 performed by